Frequently Asked Questions

Who does WLHH support?

WLHH supports women with or without children who are escaping family violence

What about my pets?

Your pets may be able to come too! WLHH is proud to be the first refuge in Victoria to be able to accept pets. For more information, please see our Services page.

Where is the refuge located?

The refuge is at an undisclosed address in order to maintain the highest security for all the women and children living here. So we cannot tell anyone the address.

What if I am not a permanent resident?

You can still be referred to the refuge. Please discuss with Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre (24 hrs)

Ph: 1800 015 188

How long can I stay?

We provide short term crisis accommodation for 4-6 weeks.

What services are available to men experiencing family violence?

WLHH specializes in supporting women and children, please contact the following services if you are in need of men's support:

MensLine โ€“ Australian-wide telephone and online counselling for men with family and relationship concerns.

Mens Referral Service โ€“ telephone counselling, information and referrals for men in Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania.

1800 RESPECT โ€“ Australian-wide counselling helpline, information and support 24/7

Domestic Violence Resource Centre โ€“ has information for everyone that are survivors of family violence.

If you are a gay, trans, intersex man or trans-masculine identifying person experiencing family violence you also contact following support services:

Thorne Harbour Healthโ€“ counselling and financial assistance to survivors of family violence within the LGBTIQA communities

Switchboard โ€“ Victorian organisation that provides support services for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI) people